Macintosh Web Programs and Utilities
See also HTML/World Wide Web Resources
and Robert's HTML/WWW Thoughts.
an HTTP server for the Macintosh.
See also: Internet Server Cookbook and
WebEdge II and
(I have not had a chance to play with it, but it sounds very promising,
I would not mind some feedback. Thanks, -Robert)
- HTML Editing
"clip2gif will save any PICT in the clipboard as a gif (or jpeg),
optionally transparent or interlaced (or both), and will even scale
images on the fly"
- Transparency for creating transparent GIF images
- Web-Map helps in creating imagemaps
a nice utility for shrinking images.
- Graphic Converter for manipulating many types of image formats in many
- GIF Converter for making the interlaced GIF images that Netscape
See also Portable Document Readers.
for viewing JPEG, GIF, and TIFF files
- Sparkle, for viewing MPEG (and QuickTime) movies (now with some
basic support for MPEG audio); can also
convert between the two. (Works best with
Thread Manager; included with System 7.5.)
(Apple MultiMedia Tuner 2.0.1 fixes some problems with Mac QT 2.0
and sound playing memory, and slightly speeds up movie playback.)
(QuickTime 1.6.2 for Macintosh; 2.0 is included with System 7.5)
(After BinHex decoding, and self-extracting, you wind
up with a disk image file which can be mounted on the desktop using
- BBEdit is very useful as a
- My cross-platform Quicktime
- Sound Machine has settings which can make it very nice as a
"helper", but cannot play WAVE files
- SoundApp, can play all major formats, but not as nice as a
- Mac port of Ghostscript (postscript viewer)
- MPEG audio: an application to play MPEG audio files.
- StuffIt Expander
for decoding BinHex files and expanding most Macintosh compression
formats (for native PowerMac operation also get DropStuff with
Expander Enhancer; for just that functionality you do not have to
pay the shareware fee for DSEE.)
on downloading MacBinary files.
- UnZip or the outstanding
- uuUndo, a small, fast, free uudecoder.
- SunTar 2.03 for UNIX tar files
- DropStuff with ExpanderEnhancer;
This shareware extension to StuffItExpander handles zipped, gziped,
and compressed files.
May 11, 1995 - Robert Lentz