ERECTED IN MEMORY OF
BENJAMIN F. LINDHEIMER 1889-1960
THROUGH THE GENEROSITY OF
MRS. BENJAMIN F. LINDHEIMER
WALTER B LINDHEIMER
MRS. PATRICIA LINDHEIMER STEINER
DEDICATED MAY 4, 1967
|Concert||University Symphonic Band |
Frederick Miller, Associate Conductor
|Welcome||Robert H. Strotz |
Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
|National Anthem||University Symphonic Band|
|Invocation||James C. McLeod |
Dean of Students
|Remarks||Dr. J. Roscoe Miller |
President of the University
|Remarks||J. Allen Hynek |
Chairman, Astronomy Department
Director of LARC
"The Call of Space"
|Fred L. Whipple |
Professor of Astronomy, Harvard University
Director, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
|Prayer of Consecration||James C. McLeod|
|University Hymn||University Symphonic Band|
|Closing Remarks||Robert H. Strotz|
The first phase of the Lindheimer Astronomical Research Center consists of two observation towers about 100 feet in height and a series of offices and instrument shops on the ground floor. Located on the northeastern tip of the James Roscoe Miller Campus of Northwestern University, the 40-inch and 16-inch reflecting telescopes of the Center command an unparalleled view of the northern and eastern sky. The 40-inch telescope, among the largest in the Midwest, will be used principally for faculty research and graduate student training. The smaller instrument is primarily for undergraduate astronomy students. Elevated 70 feet above ground level, the telescopes are protected from most of the effects of ground winds s well as from heat convection currents (which adversely affect telescopic images). Vertical panels running the length of the tubular steel bracing which surrounds the two towers were designed to offer additional protection from wind vibration. The observatory installation contains more than 2,500 square feet of usable floor space.
Designed by the Architectural firm of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, and erected by Pepper Construction Company, the Center recently was cited as the outstanding building in its class in the annual Distinguished Buildings competition of the Chicago Chapter, American Institue of Architects.
The first phase of the Center was constructed at a cost of approximately $.1. million. It was made possible by funds provided by members of the family of the late Mr. Benjamin F. Lindheimer and a grant from the National Science Foundation.
The 40-inch telescope was financed primarily by a gift from the A. Montgomery Ward FOundation.
The 16-inch telescope was financed primarily by a gift from the Hans
D. Isenberg Foundation, a grant from the National Science Foundation, and
The second phase of the Lindheimer Astronomical Research Center will be erected as a part of the University's "First Plan for the Seventies". It will contain laboratories, classrooms, and faculty-staff offices.
In 1953 Mr. Lindheimer accepted membership in the Northwestern University Associates. He received and honorary law degree from St. Xavier College in 1960.
Born October 1, 1889, he was educated in the public schools. Mr. Lindheimer was married to the former Vera Burnstine. Joining Mrs. Lindheimer in making the generous gift to Northwestern were her son, Walter, and her daughter, Patricia.
Mr. Lindheimer died in June 1960.
J. Allen Hynek
Mrs. Benjamin F. Lindheimer
Mrs. Patricia Lindheimer Steiner
Walter B. Lindheimer